Geography is led by Mrs Wicks.
At Bovingdon Primary Academy, we aim to ensure that all children appreciate their locality in comparison with the wider world. The children learn about a range of different human and physical features in the world around them. We have made geography fun by exploring our local environment, researching different countries and role-playing lives in different countries. Our geography topics include: Tanzania, Bovingdon, India, London, natural disasters, mapping and many more. I am delighted to be able lead geography and see how the children’s knowledge and appreciation of the world develops and grows.
A Bovingdon Primary Academy Geographer will leave at the end of Key Stage 2 with…
- knowledge of the human and physical features of Bovingdon and knows why they are there
- an appreciation of their own locality in comparison with the wider world
- an understanding that people have moved or travelled over time and considers this with their own family story
- knowledge of the scale of towns, counties, regions, countries and continents
- a clear understanding of geographical vocabulary and applies this for every day conversation
- the confidence to use a map, compass and their own knowledge to navigate
- an understanding of fact and fiction books that help gain a deeper understanding of the world and to spark curiosity
- the ability to use what they already know to ask questions about unfamiliar landscapes and parts of the world